The Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont University Hospital Centre (UHC), in Moncton, New Brunswick, is seeking to three recruit full-time psychiatrist and professor.
The successful candidates will have considerable clinical independence in general psychiatry and serve patients of all ages. They will respond to consultation requests and provide follow-up for inpatients and outpatients. They will participate in teaching medical and psychiatry students and residents. They will also participate in general psychiatry on-call coverage (patients of all ages) in a fair manner with all the other psychiatrists of the department.
The UHC is a level-3 trauma centre and a medical training centre affiliated with the Université de Sherbrooke. The Department of Psychiatry provides extensive specialized psychiatry training in French (postdoctoral education); it is the decentralized specialized psychiatry training program of the Université de Sherbrooke.
Overview of the Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont University Hospital Centre – The Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont University Hospital Centre, located in the heart of the City of Moncton, is the lead facility of the Beauséjour Zone (Kent and Southeastern New Brunswick region) of Vitalité Health Network. This 302-bed hospital provides primary, specialized and tertiary care using cutting-edge technology. It has over 240 physicians, 2,000 employees and 315 volunteers. It provides services in both official languages, but the language of operation is French. The UHC serves patients from New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia. It is a provincial referral centre for its highly specialized services. As a teaching and research hospital, it maintains close ties with a number of the country’s universities and colleges. The Department of Psychiatry of the UHC is the main site of the New Brunswick specialized psychiatry training program in French; it is the decentralized, specialized postdoctoral psychiatry training program of the Université de Sherbrooke. Clinical and academic activities are fully integrated into all components of patient and community service. The psychiatrists and professors will join the general psychiatry service within the Department of Psychiatry, which is made up of general psychiatrists, some of whom are responsible for liaison, assertive community treatment and emergency psychiatry.
Overview of the regional health authority – Vitalité Health Network is one of the two regional health authorities (RHAs) in New Brunswick. The Network is the only Francophone managed organization of its kind in the country and provides services in nearly 70 sites and points of service throughout four health zones covering all of the northern region and part of the southeastern region of the province. Services and care are provided in the official language chosen by the patient and are available at home, in the community, or in a facility, according to needs. The range of services includes disease prevention and health promotion, treatment of illness, rehabilitation, home care and palliative care. Services provided by Public Health and Addiction Services as well as services provided by Community Mental Health Centres, the Extra-Mural Program and veterans' centres complement those provided by hospital facilities, giving the Network a broader range of health care services. The Network is also active in the training and research fields, with these efforts helping to keep employees’ skills up-to-date and to plan for succession. For more information, please visit the Network’s website at www.vitalitenb.ca.
NATURE OF THE WORK
The position includes professional medical work performed by a licensed specialist (holding specialist licensure recognized by the College of physicians and surgeons of New Brunswick). A licensed specialist enjoys great clinical independence in the diagnosis, care and treatment of medical problems within their field of specialization. Their clinical work and performance may be monitored and evaluated by the department/division/service and/or clinical program to which they belong. Their work may also be monitored by the Local and Regional Chief of Staff and by the Medical Director responsible for their zone within the RHA. The physician abides by the By-Laws and policies of the RHA.
- REMUNERATION Remuneration is based on a salary model.
- Degree from a recognized medical school and postdoctoral medical degree in psychiatry.
- Certification in psychiatry from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
- Clinical or complementary research training (fellowship) will be considered an asset. Complementary research includes specific experience or expertise in continuous quality improvement or leadership.
- The candidate must demonstrate interest for academic practice, including teaching, continuing professional development and research or for improving the quality of medical services.
- Must be eligible to obtain a licence to practise medicine from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick. To contact the College, simply visit its website, at https://www.cpsnb.org/.
- The candidate must also demonstrate oral and written skills in French and English. These skills could be verified during the interview.
- START DATE
- As soon as possible
- • Possibility of a location grant depending on eligibility, as determined by the Department of Health (return of service required)
- • Moving expense allowance
- ABOUT THE COMMUNITY
- The Moncton area has a population of over 138,000. Moncton ranked among the best Canadian cities with respect to quality of community life. It is also among the top ten North American cities, and the only one in Canada, on the list of most affordable cities. The Moncton area is teeming with educational, cultural and recreational opportunities, including easy access to beaches on the temperate waters of the Northumberland Strait and the picturesque Bay of Fundy. Officially a bilingual city, Moncton offers educational opportunities in both official languages. More information is available on the city’s website at www.moncton.ca.
- TO APPLY / OBTAIN FURTHER INFORMATION
- Please send your résumé to Hélène Grandisson Hadley by e-mail at email@example.com or by fax at 506-544-2145.