Endocrinology/Internal Medicine Opportunity –
Fredericton, New Brunswick
Horizon Health Network seeks an Endocrinology/Internal Medicine specialist for the Dr. Everett Chalmers Regional Hospital in Fredericton, NB. This is an opportunity requiring Internal Medicine and Endocrinology specialty certifications by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or the American Board of Internal Medicine.
The position involves both outpatient and inpatient management of Endocrinology and General Internal Medicine patients, including participation in the Complex Medical Care Consulting inpatient service. On-call Internal Medicine is required and shared equally by department members. The on-call service includes management of Cardiac Care Unit inpatients. Recent experience and/or additional training in CCU / cardiac disease management is required.
We are a teaching centre with both residents and medical students. The candidate should have interest and recent experience with Medical Education of students.
Horizon Health Network (www.horizonnb.ca) is the largest regional health authority in New Brunswick and the second-largest health authority in Atlantic Canada, operating 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
The Chalmers Hospital is a regional referral hospital with all major surgical services on site with the exception of cardiac and neurosurgery. With 314 beds and a 9-bed intensive care unit, the Chalmers Hospital serves a catchment population of approximately 166,000. It is also a training site for the Dalhousie University Family Medicine Program.
HOURS OF WORK
- 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday-Friday (37.5 hours per week)
- Provide outpatient service for assessment and management of new and follow-up Endocrinology patients.
- Provide inpatient care on call (General Internal Medicine / CCU).
- Participate in an equally shared on-call rotation.
- Participate in the Complex Medicine Care inpatient teaching service.
- Teaching responsibilities for residents and medical students.
- Provide telephone consultation to colleagues.
- Collaborate with Nurse Practitioners, Registered Nurses and other allied medical staff.
- Participate in departmental and other appropriate area and/or regional Medical Specialities Program committees.
- Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
- Other duties that may arise by circumstance and may be assigned by the Department of Internal Medicine.
- Remuneration is by a sessional rate arrangement as outlined in the New Brunswick Physicians’ Manual. Range: $230,074 - $279,682
- Moving Expense Allowance
EXPECTED START DATE:
- As soon as possible
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
Fredericton, New Brunswick’s capital is an energetic city having much to offer individuals as well as families. Located in an officially bilingual province, Fredericton has a vibrant francophone population. Le Centre communautaire Sainte-Anne houses schooling from daycare to high school, various sporting activities, weekly francophone movies, happy hours with local francophone entertainment and a Health Centre making Fredericton a wonderful location to live. The city also offers many recreational activities such as enjoying water sports on the majestic St. John River, playing a round of golf on one of the 7 golf courses, walking, running or biking on various trails, playing tennis in our indoor or outdoor courts, skiing and snowboarding at Crabbe Mountain, joining an ultimate Frisbee team, to visiting the beautiful Art Galleries including the world renown Beaverbrook Art Gallery, taking in live theatre at the Playhouse, being entertained by numerous festivals such as the Annual Music Festival and the Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival, Frostival in the winter months, a free outdoor skating rink in the heart of the city, Fredericton’s famous Boyce Farmer’s Market, Science East where children and children at heart are taught the basics of science in a fun and entertaining setting, Fredericton captures it all.
- A medical degree is required.
- Candidates must be eligible for an unsupervised licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
- Internal Medicine specialty certification by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or the American Board of Internal Medicine is required.
- Endocrinology subspecialty certification by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or the American Board of Internal Medicine is required.
- Recent experience with care of Cardiac/CCU and Internal Medicine inpatients is required.
- ACLS certification is required.
- Proficiency in English is required. Bilingual skills would be considered an asset.
- In accordance with immigration requirements, preference will be given to Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Good attendance and work record.
- Physically able to perform assign duties.
Horizon Health Network adheres to all privacy legislation and policies to ensure confidential patient, business, financial and employee information is disclosed only to those authorized to receive it for the purpose of fulfilling their job duties.
Applications may be sent (with CV along with three references) in confidence to Molly Pevlin, Physician Recruitment Advisor: Molly.Pevlin@horizonnb.ca