Psychiatrist – Community Child & Adolescent Team and Youth Mental Health Inpatient Pod - Fredericton, NBPOSITION DESCRIPTION:
Horizon Health Network requires a full-time psychiatrist on the Child & Adolescent Team at its Community Addictions & Mental Health Centre and Youth Mental Health Inpatient Pod in Fredericton, NB. This psychiatrist would be an active member of the multidisciplinary team providing psychiatric care to patients under the age of 18 years, routinely spending part of their time covering the inpatient unit, and part of their time providing outpatient services. The Foundation of the local hospital completed a successful fundraising campaign to allow for the creation of a specific Child and Youth Mental Health Inpatient Pod in our hospital. The psychiatrist in this position would play an integral role in providing acute psychiatric care for children and youth admitted on this new unit.
The successful candidate would be a full and active member of our Department of Psychiatry, which consists of a total of 22 Psychiatrists when all positions are filled. The Department consists of quite a heterogeneous group of psychiatrists, with many different countries of origin and many different personal and professional paths that have brought them to Fredericton.
The Department provides outpatient services at Community Addictions & Mental Health Centres in Fredericton, Woodstock and Perth, New Brunswick. Subspecialty services in Seniors Mental Health, Early Psychosis, Flexible Assertive Community Treatment, Child & Adolescent, and Addictions are provided within outpatient services. Members also provide Psychiatric care to military veterans and RCMP through our Operational Stress Injury Clinic. Others provide service within a First Nations Mental Health Program and at a University Medical Clinic. We have a 25 bed Adult inpatient unit, located at the Dr. Everett Chalmers Hospital in Fredericton, fully staffed by a multidisciplinary team. This unit houses a Concentrated Nursing Care area with capacity for 5 severely ill inpatients and provides a Short Stay Program for Borderline Personality Disorder. Hospital services also provide care to patients admitted to other medical floors and youth who are admitted to the Pediatrics floor with Mental Health concerns. The Department makes regular use of the Provincial Telehealth Service in order to provide care to individuals in more remote parts of the province.
All members of the Department participate in regular Departmental meetings as well as regular educational sessions. Members are also expected to participate in an on-call roster, as well as a roster for providing ECT. Most members also participate in clinical supervision of medical students and residents, as they have affiliations with Dalhousie and Memorial universities.
Preference will be given to Canadian citizens or permanent residents who hold a certificate in Psychiatry by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, but candidates possessing equivalent skills or licensed by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick could be considered.
Horizon Health Network (www.horizonnb.ca) is the largest regional health authority in New Brunswick and the second-largest health authority in Atlantic Canada, operating 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
The Chalmers Hospital is a regional referral hospital with all major surgical services on site with the exception of cardiac and neurosurgery. With 314 beds and a 9-bed intensive care unit, the Chalmers Hospital serves a catchment population of approximately 175,000. It is also a training site for the Dalhousie University Family Medicine Program.
Situated in the beautiful Saint John River Valley, Fredericton has all the amenities of a large metropolitan area and all the warmth and charm of a small town. It offers a community-oriented lifestyle including a wide range of recreational opportunities, two universities, an art gallery, a children’s science centre, and a professional theatre. The city makes the most of all four seasons, offering recreational activities and community events to enjoy year round. The medical community within Fredericton is very collegial and active.
HOURS OF WORK
Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (variable)
- Provide an outpatient service for assessment and management of new and follow-up child, youth and adolescent patients.
- Provide inpatient and on call care covering three bed Youth Mental Health unit on Pediatrics ward.
- Admit Adult or Child psychiatry patients to inpatient psychiatry wards as deemed necessary and appropriate during routine call duty or from Community based practice.
- Provide consultations to inpatient and emergency room patients as requested by attending staff when on call or assigned to cover the Youth Mental Health in patient unit.
- Provide telephone consultation and clinical support to family practitioners and other colleagues as may be required.
- Teaching responsibilities for residents and medical students as determined by the department and as can be accommodated.
- Participate in departmental and/or regional Medical Specialties Program committees as appropriate.
- Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
- Other duties that may arise by circumstance and may be assigned by the Department of Psychiatry.
Note: These responsibilities are the basic and prime duties associated with this position; other related and allied duties may be assigned from time to time as may be necessary to the operation of Horizon Health Network.
- Attend appropriate CME events as required by specialty.
- Comply with the policies and procedures of the Department of Psychiatry.
- Comply with the provisions of the Hospital Act, the Regional Health Authorities Act, Community Health Centre Regulation, the Medical Services Payment Act, and their regulations.
- Comply with the Health Authority bylaws, rules and regulations, and policies and procedures.
- Follow the Code of Ethics of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick and the Canadian Medical Association.
- Maintain in good standing with appropriate professional and regulatory colleges.
This is a salaried position. Remuneration range is as follows: Certified Specialist: $221,078 to $268,788 annually, 37.50 hours of psychiatric care per week
- Eligible for the Provincial Recruitment Incentive
- Moving Expense Allowance
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
Fredericton, New Brunswick’s capital is an energetic city having much to offer individuals as well as families. Located in an officially bilingual province, Fredericton has a vibrant francophone population. Le Centre communautaire Sainte-Anne houses schooling from daycare to high school, various sporting activities, weekly francophone movies, happy hours with local francophone entertainment and a Health Centre making Fredericton a wonderful location to live. The city also offers many recreational activities such as enjoying water sports on the majestic St. John River, playing a round of golf on one of the 7 golf courses, walking, running or biking on various trails, playing tennis in our indoor or outdoor courts, skiing and snowboarding at Crabbe Mountain, joining an ultimate Frisbee team, to visiting the beautiful Art Galleries including the world renown Beaverbrook Art Gallery, taking in live theatre at the Playhouse, being entertained by numerous festivals such as the Annual Music Festival and the Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival, Frostival in the winter months, a free outdoor skating rink in the heart of the city, Fredericton’s famous Boyce Farmer’s Market, Science East where children and children at heart are taught the basics of science in a fun and entertaining setting, Fredericton captures it all.
- Must hold a valid license to practice medicine in the Province of New Brunswick.
- Must be a member in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
- Must have current malpractice insurance from the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) appropriate to the category of practice.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Good attendance and work record.
- Physically mentally able to perform assigned duties.
- Excellent experience in multidisciplinary team working.
Applicants are invited to forward their CV along with the names and position titles of three references to Denise Coulombe, Physician Recruitment Advisor at Denise.Coulombe@horizonnb.ca