Family Medicine / Emergency Medicine Physician
Horizon Health Network, Saint John Area (Region 2), is actively seeking permanent full-time Rural Family Medicine / Emergency Medicine Physicians. Successful candidates will be expected to work clinically in the Department of Family Medicine and the Department of Emergency Medicine, Saint John Area and will also secure an appointment with Dalhousie University, participating in research, educational, and CPD programs, with opportunities to teach at Dalhousie Medicine New Brunswick.
Clinical excellence, an interest in teaching the health care professions and a keen interest to work effectively on interdisciplinary teams involving all levels of health care providers are essential attributes in our growing, collegial environment.
Horizon has an annual budget of approximately $1.1 billion and has more than 12,600 employees, 1,100 physicians and 5,200 volunteers, auxiliary and alumnae members, as well as 17 foundations and 18 auxiliary and alumnae organizations. Horizon ensures representation from urban and rural areas through a 15-member Board that consists of 7 appointed and 8 elected members of the public.
HOURS OF WORK:
- Hours of work are agreed upon by the physician and Service/Department Head.
- In general, a half-time equivalent position in emergency medicine is considered to be a total of 16 hours, comprising 14.5 hours clinical plus academic and clinical support time across the sites.
- A half-time equivalent position in family medicine is considered to be a total of 18.5 clinical hours per week.
The following outlines the basic responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned from time to time as may be necessary to the operation of Horizon Health Network:
· Participate in clinical care and on-call responsibilities as defined by your department.
· Participate in deliverables as outlined in the Emergency Medicine Academic Funding Plan.
· Family Medicine patient roster size of approximately 600 – 800 patients.
· Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
A nationally competitive Academic Funding Plan compensates Emergency Medicine physicians for clinical excellence, medical education, research and administration. The successful applicant will be compensated at an hourly rate for their clinical shifts and general contribution to the department and are eligible to receive additional funding for specific academic and administrative projects.
Standard remuneration in a Family Medicine practice setting is Fee-for-Service which is a direct compensation between the physician and Medicare of New Brunswick. On call remuneration is provided. No source deductions can be provided.
§ Candidates may be eligible for a Provincial Recruitment Incentive with a Return of Service Agreement.
§ Moving Expense Allowance with a Return of Service Agreement.
EXPECTED START DATE:
· Spring/summer 2022
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
A playground in Atlantic Canada surrounded by fresh waterways on one side and the ocean on the other.
With a community of Maritime and Acadian people whose rich friendly culture will include you.
To a community where families are able to raise their children in a safe, close-knit environment with a reasonable cost of living.
The Saint John area offers you a broad range of affordable housing options, from heritage properties to executive homes within the city and in nearby Kennebecasis Valley. Saint John, a booming harbor city is Canada's oldest incorporated city (1785) and home to the country's oldest museum and farmers' market. For spouses and families, there are excellent employment and educational prospects. The nearby towns and villages, such as St. Stephen, Sussex, and Grand Manan, provide a diverse selection of recreational and sport activities that appeal to all age groups.
- A medical degree is required.
- Certification with the College of Family Physicians of Canada - Emergency Medicine, or the College of Family Physicians of Canada with Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in Emergency Medicine; or equivalent family medicine and emergency medicine certification. (candidates with emergency medicine experience but without certification will be considered for rural positions excluding regional hospital shifts)..
- Candidates must be eligible for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
- Candidates must be eligible for an academic appointment from Dalhousie University.
- Current certification in Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS); Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS); Pediatric Life Support (PALS) or Advanced Pediatric Life Support (APLS)
- Competency in Point of Care Ultrasound (PoCUS) and Emergency Airway Management is required.
- Proficiency in English is required. Bilingual skills would be considered an asset.
- In accordance with immigration requirements, preference will be given to Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Good attendance and work record.
- Physically able to perform assigned duties.
- Willingness to travel to and from all area hospitals as required.
Applicants are invited to visit www.NBHealthJobs.ca.
Further information on the program is available at www.emergencymedicineNB.ca