Psychiatrist –Fredericton, NB
Horizon Health Network requires full-time adult psychiatrists to join their Department in Fredericton, New Brunswick. They would be an active member of the multidisciplinary team serving the Fredericton community.
The successful candidate would become a member of our Department of Psychiatry, which consists of a total of 21 Psychiatrists when all positions are filled. The Department consists of quite a heterogeneous group of physicians, with many different countries of origin and many different personal and professional paths that have brought them to Fredericton. The Department provides outpatient services at Community Addictions & Mental Health Centres in Fredericton, Woodstock and Perth, New Brunswick. Subspecialty services in Seniors Mental Health, Early Psychosis, Flexible Assertive Community Treatment, Child & Adolescent, and Addictions are provided within outpatient services. Members also provide Psychiatric care to military veterans and RCMP through our Operational Stress Injury Clinic. Others provide service within a First Nations Mental Health Program and at a University Medical Clinic. We have a 25 bed inpatient unit, located at the Dr. Everett Chalmers Regional Hospital in Fredericton, fully staffed by a multidisciplinary team. This unit houses a Concentrated Nursing Care area with capacity for 5 severely ill inpatients and provides a Short Stay Program for Borderline Personality Disorder. Hospital services also provide care to patients admitted to other medical floors and youth who are admitted to the Pediatrics floor with Mental Health concerns. The Department makes regular use of the Provincial Telehealth Service in order to provide care to individuals in more remote parts of the province.
All members of the Department participate in regular Departmental meetings as well as regular educational sessions. Members are also expected to participate in an on call roster, as well as a roster for providing ECT. Most members also participate in clinical supervision of medical students and residents, as they have affiliations with Dalhousie and Memorial Universities. Members employed at the Operational Stress Injury Clinic must maintain compliance with Veteran’s Affairs Canada’s outcome monitoring requirements.
Call expectations is shared with the other physicians in the group.
Preference will be given to Canadian citizens or permanent residents who hold a certificate in Psychiatry by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of the Canada, but candidates possessing equivalent skills or licensed by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick could be considered
Horizon Health Network (www.horizonnb.ca) is the largest regional health authority in New Brunswick and the second-largest health authority in Atlantic Canada, operating 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
The Chalmers Hospital is a regional referral hospital with all major surgical services on site with the exception of cardiac and neurosurgery. With 314 beds and a 9-bed intensive care unit, the Chalmers Hospital serves a catchment population of approximately 175,000. It is also a training site for the Dalhousie University Family Medicine Program.
HOURS OF WORK
Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (variable)
· Consultant-Liaison, OSI, General Adult Community based Psychiatrist.
· Provide an outpatient service for assessment and management of new and follow-up patients.
· Provide assessments and outpatient treatment for veterans, RCMP members at the VAC funded, Operational Stress Injury, OSI clinic.
· Provide inpatient care on call.
· Admit psychiatry patients under own care where deemed necessary and appropriate.
· Provide consultations to inpatients and emergency room patients as requested by attending staff.
· Provide brief telephone psychiatric consultation to physician on request.
· Provide on/off site outpatient psychiatric consultations and treatment to any of the Psychiatric programmes as may be assigned to by the departmental chief.
· Teaching responsibilities for residents and medical students as can be accommodated.
· Participate in departmental and other appropriate URVH Area and/or regional Medical Specialties Program committees.
· Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
· Other duties that may arise by circumstance and may be assigned by the Department of Internal Medicine.
* Psychiatrists working and living in the Woodstock region are not currently expected to participate in on call or ECT roster.
Note: These responsibilities are the basic and prime duties associated with this position; other related and allied duties may be assigned from time to time as may be necessary to the operation of Horizon Health Network.
· Attend appropriate CME events as required by specialty.
· Comply with the policies and procedures of the Department of Psychiatry.
· Comply with the provisions of the Hospital Act, the Regional Health Authorities Act, Community Health Centre Regulation, the Medical Services Payment Act, and their regulations.
· Comply with the Health Authority bylaws, rules and regulations, and policies and procedures.
· Follow the Code of Ethics of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick and the Canadian Medical Association.
· Maintain in good standing with appropriate professional and regulatory colleges.
This is a salaried position. Remuneration range is as follows: Non-Certified Specialist: $230,074 to $247,624 annually / Certified Specialist: $253,058 to $279,682 annually, 37.50 hours of psychiatric care per week.
* This figures are subject to change and are in accordance to the Medical Pay Plan.
· Those deemed eligible are able to receive:
· The Provincial Recruitment Incentive
· Moving Expense Allowance
EXPECTED START DATE:
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
Situated on the unceded territory of the Wolastoqiyik and Mik’maq peoples, Fredericton is surrounded by the beautiful and bountiful Wolastoq river. Fredericton is a vibrant, culturally diverse city where you can enjoy the amenities of a large city and the charm of a small town. Fredericton is where nature lovers and urban go getters come together with year round recreational opportunities. Whether that is playing a round of golf on one of the 7 golf courses, walking, running or biking within our 140 KM multiuse trail system, playing tennis in our indoor or outdoor courts, skiing and snowboarding at Crabbe Mountain or visiting the beautiful Art Galleries including the world renown Beaverbrook Art Gallery, taking in live theatre at the Playhouse, being entertained by numerous festivals such as the Annual Music Festival and the Harvest Music Festival, Frostival in the winter months. Fredericton truly captures it all.
You can afford to live downtown or in forested rural communities and enjoy only a 15-minute commute, making it easy to enjoy a balanced lifestyle. Rated Canada’s 2nd best city to live in, it is no surprise the friendly, nature-infused community has played a significant role in attracting a team-oriented group of innovated physicians and health care workers.
· Must be able to travel between both Community Mental Health Centres.
· Must hold a valid license to practice medicine in the Province of New Brunswick.
· Must be a member in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
· Must have current malpractice insurance from the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) appropriate to the category of practice.
· Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
· Good attendance and work record.
· Physically mentally able to perform assigned duties.
· Excellent experience in multidisciplinary team working.
Horizon Health Network adheres to all privacy legislation and policies to ensure confidential patient, business, financial and employee information is disclosed only to those authorized to receive it for the purpose of fulfilling their job duties.
Applicants are invited to forward their CV along to Molly Pevlin at Molly.Pevlin@HorizonNB.ca.