Horizon Health Network is looking to recruit a general surgeon for a position in the Upper River Valley Hospital, Waterville, New Brunswick. The hospital is a 70-bedded state of the art facility, scenically situated along in the Saint John River Valley, an area which offers a wide range of recreational, cultural and educational opportunities, and is only one hour from Fredericton, the capital of New Brunswick.
There is a well-established operating suite, with an endoscopy room and laparoscopic OR suite. The surgeon will work with two colleagues in a 1:3 on call rota, in an established, busy general surgical practice, therefore, candidates with some years of post-residency experience would be preferred.
An extensive range of skills in general surgery and endoscopy, is required, as well as mandatory training in C-sections.
Horizon Health Network, www.horizonnb.ca, is the largest health-care organization in Atlantic Canada, operating 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
The Upper River Valley Hospital is the newest hospital in New Brunswick. It has been designated as the first full service hospital in Canada to be recognized as a leader in energy and environmental design. The hospital provides services to the Town of Woodstock, Town of Hartland several villages and other surrounding communities. The community's economy is mainly based on natural resources and farming industries.
There are over 800 employees, 45 physicians and 115 volunteers who provide service in the Upper River Valley area facilities and services with an operating budget of approximately $67 million.
HOURS OF WORK
• Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• On-call coverage in coordination with the other members of the Department of General Surgery
A typical weekly schedule will include:
• On-call coverage in general surgery and caesarean section in coordination with other members of the department
• Daily inpatient rounds
• Operating sessions as assigned by the OR Utilization Committee
• Minor Surgery operating in ambulatory care
• Inpatient consultations
• Hospital-based clinics for elective general surgery patients and to book elective caesarean sections.
• Teaching residents and medical students
Remuneration is via an alternative funding plan (AFP) arrangement. On call remuneration is fee for service.
• Moving Expense Allowance
• Opportunity to teach with the Family Medicine Residency Training Program with faculty appointment with Dalhousie Medical School, https://medicine.dal.ca/
EXPECTED START DATE:
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
Situated west-centrally in New Brunswick is the Upper River Valley, a historic and cultural area that includes a number of vibrant towns and villages, including the Town of Woodstock, the Town of Hartland and the town of Perth-Andover, serving a catchment population of 45,000. Area residents are warm, friendly and welcome newcomers with open arms. Work-life balance is easily achievable in the Upper River Valley. Its close proximity to the Upper St. John River Valley Trail and the Meduxnekeag and St. John rivers ensures that popular outdoor activities like canoeing, kayaking, hiking, biking and camping are never far away. Additionally, the Aroostook Valley Golf and Country Club, just down the road from Perth-Andover, features a fantastic international course that straddles Canada and the U.S.
• The candidate should hold a Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or equivalent degree.
• Must be eligible for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick. https://www.cpsnb.org/
Applicants are invited to forward their CV along with three references to Molly Pevlin, Physician Recruitment Officer at Molly.Pevlin@HorizonNB.ca