Internal Medicine Opportunity
Horizon Health Network seeks a General Internal Medicine specialist for the Upper River Valley Hospital in Waterville, NB. The Internal Medicine service is largely consultative to inpatients and provides direct care to an active five bed Concentrated Care Unit (CCU). The CCU is a 5 bed unit which has an acuity between IMCU and ICU.
We are looking for a new member to help build our active department including staffing our CCU and seeing inpatients and outpatients with general internal medicine problems at Upper River Valley Hospital and at the two neighboring facilities in the Upper River Valley area for visiting Internal Medicine clinics. We are currently a group of 4 practicing internists, 3 of whom work in hospital and one in the outpatient setting. This position would suit someone who had a specialty in GIM with an area of interest or alternatively would suit a subspecialist who had an interest in GIM. It offers the opportunity to have an outpatient clinic focused on an area of interest, while providing rotating coverage of internal medicine hospital call and CCU coverage.
Call expectations are shared with the other physicians in the group. Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada preferred.
Horizon Health Network, www.horizonnb.ca, operates 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
The Upper River Valley Hospital is the newest hospital in New Brunswick. It has been designated as the first full service hospital in Canada to be recognized as a leader in energy and environmental design. The hospital provides services to the Town of Woodstock, the Town of Hartland, several villages and other surrounding communities. The community's economy is mainly based on natural resources and farming industries.
There are over 800 employees, 45 physicians and 115 volunteers who provide service in the Upper River Valley area facilities with an operating budget of approximately $67 million.
- JOB DUTIES:Provide an outpatient service for assessment and management of new and follow-up patients.
- Provide inpatient care on call.
- Participate in an equally shared on-call rotation.
- Admit internal medicine patients under own care where deemed necessary and appropriate.
- Provide consultations to inpatients and emergency room patients as requested by attending staff.
- Provide telephone consultation to colleagues.
- Equal opportunity among Internists to interpret tests including PFTs, ECGs, holters, etc.
- Teaching responsibilities for residents and medical students as can be accommodated.
- Participate in departmental and other appropriate URVH Area and/or regional Medical Specialities Program committees
- Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
- Other duties that may arise by circumstance and may be assigned by the Department of Internal Medicine.
- OTHER REQUIREMENTS:Attend appropriate CME events as required by specialty.
- Comply with the policies and procedures of the Department of Internal Medicine.
- Comply with the provisions of the Hospital Act, the Regional Health Authorities Act, Community Health Centre Regulation, the Medical Services Payment Act, and their regulations.
- Comply with the Health Authority bylaws, rules and regulations, and policies and procedures.
- Follow the Code of Ethics of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick and the Canadian Medical Association.
Remuneration is fee-for-service which is a direct compensation between the physician and Medicare of New Brunswick, except for CCU which is remunerated via an alternate funding plan (AFP).
- INCENTIVES:Moving Expense Allowance
EXPECTED START DATE:
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
Situated west-centrally in New Brunswick is the Upper River Valley, a historic and cultural area that includes a number of vibrant towns and villages, including Woodstock, Bath, Florenceville-Bristol, Centreville, Hartland and Perth-Andover, serving a hospital catchment population of 50,000 and a much larger subspecialty catchment area (>100,000). Area residents are warm and friendly and welcome newcomers with open arms. Work-life balance is easily achievable in the Upper River Valley. Its close proximity to the Meduxnekeag and St. John rivers ensures popular outdoor activities like canoeing, kayaking, hiking, biking and camping are never far away. It offers a low cost of living yet is within driving distance of many major cities including Boston, Montreal, New York, and Halifax.
- QUALIFICATIONS:Certified Specialist in Internal Medicine
- Certified in ACLS
- Must hold a valid license to practice medicine in the Province of New Brunswick
- Must be a member in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick
- Must have current malpractice insurance from the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) appropriate to the category of practice
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills
- Good attendance and work record
- Physically able to perform assigned duties
Horizon Health Network adheres to all privacy legislation and policies to ensure confidential patient, business, financial and employee information is disclosed only to those authorized to receive it for the purpose of fulfilling their job duties.
Applications may be sent (with CV along with three references) in confidence to Molly Pevlin, Physician Recruitment Officer: Molly.Pevlin@HorizonNB.ca.