Psychiatrist – Upper River Valley Community Mental Health Centres & First Nations Program
Horizon Health Network requires two full-time psychiatrists to provide services at the Woodstock and Perth-Andover Community Mental Health Centres. The psychiatrists would spend four to five days per week providing Adult Psychiatric care at the Woodstock Mental Health Centre and Perth-Andover Community Mental Health Centre. They would be an active member of the multidisciplinary teams providing services to these two communities. One of their major roles would be as the Psychiatrist to the Flexible Assertive Community Treatment (FACT) Team, providing intensive multidisciplinary service to those with severe and persistent mental illness. They would also be a part of the unique First Nations Mental Health Program, providing Psychiatric care to patients in two First Nations communities, Woodstock and Tobique First Nations. They would travel to these communities once every three to four weeks, working in collaboration with the mental health nurse connected with this program as well as with the local community medical providers.
The successful candidates would become members of our Department of Psychiatry, which consists of a total of 21 Psychiatrists when all positions are filled. The Department provides outpatient services at Community Mental Health Centres in Fredericton, Woodstock and Perth-Andover, New Brunswick. Subspecialty services in Seniors Mental Health, Early Psychosis, Child & Adolescent, and Addictions are provided within outpatient services. Members also provide Psychiatric care to military veterans and RCMP through our Operational Stress Injury Clinic. Others provide service at a University Medical Clinic. We have a 25 bed inpatient unit, located at the Dr. Everett Chalmer’s Hospital in Fredericton. The Department makes regular use of the Provincial Telehealth Service in order to provide care to individuals in more remote parts of the province.
All members of the Department participate in regular Departmental meetings as well as regular educational sessions. Members working in Woodstock & Perth-Andover are not currently expected to participate in an on call roster, or the roster for providing ECT. Most members do participate in clinical supervision of medical students and residents.
Preference will be given to Canadian citizens or permanent residents who hold a certificate in Psychiatry by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of the Canada, but candidates possessing equivalent skills or licensed by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick could be considered
Horizon Health Network, www.horizonnb.ca, is the largest health-care organization in Atlantic Canada, operating 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
The Upper River Valley Hospital is the newest hospital in New Brunswick. It has been designated as the first full service hospital in Canada to be recognized as a leader in energy and environmental design. The hospital provides services to the Town of Woodstock, Town of Hartland several villages and other surrounding communities. The community’s economy is mainly based on natural resources and farming industries.
There are over 800 employees, 45 physicians and 115 volunteers who provide service in the Upper River Valley area facilities and services with an operating budget of approximately $67 million.
- Participate in regular Departmental meetings as well as regular educational sessions.
- Provide an outpatient service for assessment and management of new and follow-up patients.
- Admit psychiatry patients under own care where deemed necessary and appropriate.
- Provide consultations to inpatients and emergency room patients as requested by attending staff.
- Provide telephone consultation to colleagues.
- Provide Psychiatric care to FACT team.
- Provide on/off site outpatient psychiatric consultations and treatment to First Nations communities in Woodstock and Tobique First Nations.
- Teaching responsibilities for residents and medical students as can be accommodated.
- Participate in departmental and other appropriate URVH Area and/or regional Medical Specialities Program committees
- Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
- Other duties that may arise by circumstance and may be assigned by the Department of Internal Medicine.
- Attend appropriate CME events as required by specialty.
- Comply with the policies and procedures of the Department of Psychiatry.
- Comply with the provisions of the Hospital Act, the Regional Health Authorities Act, Community Health Centre Regulation, the Medical Services Payment Act, and their regulations.
- Comply with the Health Authority bylaws, rules and regulations, and policies and procedures.
- Follow the Code of Ethics of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick and the Canadian Medical Association.
- Maintain in good standing with their appropriate professional and regulatory colleges.
- This is a salaried position. Remuneration range is as follows: Non-Certified Specialist: $230,074 to $247,624 annually / Certified Specialist: $253,058 to $279,682 annually, 37.50 hours of psychiatric care per week.
- Possible Location/Bursary and Grant
- Moving Expense Allowance
EXPECTED START DATE:
August 1, 2019
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
Situated west-centrally in New Brunswick is the Upper River Valley, a historic and cultural area that includes a number of vibrant towns and villages, including Woodstock, Bath, Florenceville-Bristol, Centreville, Hartland and Perth-Andover, serving a hospital catchment population of 50,000 and a much larger subspecialty catchment area (>100,000).
The Woodstock Mental Health Centre is located in Woodstock, New Brunswick’s First Town, is rich with more than 155 years of history and heritage and is home to some of New Brunswick’s pioneers. Settled on the banks of the Meduxnekeag and St. John Rivers at the intersection of the Trans-Canada Highway and Interstate 95, Woodstock boasts the finest 19th-century homes, churches and civic buildings. It is only a short drive to the border with the United States and an hour to Fredericton, New Brunswick’s Capital city. It offers the warmth and charm of a small Maritime town, creating a wonderful community-oriented lifestyle.
The Perth-Andover Community Mental Health Centre is located in Perth Andover which is located in the heart of the Appalachian Mountains and spread over both sides of the St. John River. This historic village offers the best of the outdoors, with hiking, biking or cross-country skiing on 3 local trail systems. The village also sits on the edge of great hunting, fishing and wilderness areas.
Area residents are warm and friendly and welcome newcomers with open arms. Work-life balance is easily achievable in the Upper River Valley. The communities ensure popular outdoor activities like canoeing, kayaking, hiking, biking and camping are never far away. It offers a low cost of living yet is within driving distance of many major cities including Boston, Montreal, New York, and Halifax.
- Must be able to travel between both Community Mental Health Centres
- Must hold a valid license to practice medicine in the Province of New Brunswick
- Must be a member in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick
- Must have current malpractice insurance from the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) appropriate to the category of practice
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills
- Good attendance and work record
- Physically able to perform assigned duties
- Excellent experience in multidisciplinary team working.
Applications may be sent (with CV along with three references) in confidence to Denise Coulombe, Physician Recruitment Officer: Denise.Coulombe@horizonnb.ca